Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What's for Dinner Wednesday?

Tonight we are going to be trying something new again.  I am going to be making Giada DeLaurentiis' Pastina with Peas and Carrots.  I absolutely love watching her cooking shows.  She makes such wonderful home-y food.  I am going to round it out with some grilled chicken, simply seasoned.  

I love dishes like this because they have small bite-size pieces which are perfect for toddlers.  I will be using some fun tiny farfalle, which I am sure the kids will love.  And can anyone really say no to pasta in a yummy creamy sauce of cream cheese and mascarpone cheese?  I think not!

This dish can easily be made ahead of time (like I am doing today), refrigerated and re-heated.
 
 Super simple ingredients.  Click on the link above for detailed instructions and ingredients.  Start out by getting some salted water boiling and your pasta going.
 Saute up some onion in the olive oil.
 Add those diced carrots and the chicken broth, bring to a boil.
 Pasta is done!  Oh it's so cute!
 After simmering your carrots for a bit, add the peas till heated through, then the pasta.  Add the cheese and mix until a nice creamy sauce forms. 
 Voila!  All done, wasn't that easy?

Later this evening I will whip up some grilled chicken breasts.  I lightly season with some seasoned salt and maybe some thyme.  Need a tip to get those chicken breasts cooked faster?  Slice them in half!  We all know that your typical chicken breast is WAY more than one serving, slice it in half  (kinda scallopini style, but not that thin) and you have a perfect portion that won't take 20 minutes to cook all the way through :)  

I might even whip up a salad with this.  My kids are complete tomato fiends so I'll serve it with some tomato slices on the side too.

Enjoy!



No comments: