Monday, February 7, 2011

More Scrappy Fun!

 OK, so I had this pile of squares that my mom had left over from sewing Isabela's quilt.  I can't take credit for the squares, my mom pieced them all together.  I have been wanting to make a little drawstring tote for Bela.  I used the Prudent Baby tutorial to make the bag and instead of making it a backpack, I tied the straps together to make a little satchel because that is how Bela likes to carry her purses.

I pieced the squares together the same way I did for my Scrappy Pillow.  I'm still not 100% on the straps, I'll have to think on it a bit more.
Next, I decided to use the squares to put a pretty trim on an old hand towel with frayed edges. 
I couldn't necessarily call this a proper tutorial because it took a little trial and error.  I couldn't give you exact measurements, but you will get the basic idea.

I first took my strip and laid it with the right side down about 1.5 inches up from the bottom.  Since you are sewing a towel, play it safe and switch your needle to a heavy duty needle.  I then sewed a straight stitch across leaving a 1/4 inch seam allowance.


Flip the fabric to the back side and fold the edge under and tuck in the sides.  Make sure that the fabric is even on both sides.  Iron flat and then sew along the edge.  Make sure to catch the edge on both sides.  This essentially top-stitches the opposite side.

 This is what it will look like


 Hang in your bathroom and smile because you're so smart and crafty :)