Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Devotional - A Student of His Emotions

I have been reading After God's Own Heart by Mike Bickle in addition to the Beth Moore study I have been doing with some women at my church.  I had a few moments this morning (kid-free) to read and was just blessed and rejuvenated by the small portion I was able to read today.

Several times in the book he refers to David being a student of the emotions of God.  David was so fascinated by God that he spent his time really seeking and studying the heart of God.  This really tied into what I read today about "beholding and becoming".  2 Corinthians 3:18 says:

But we all with an unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.
I have probably read this verse a thousand times and heard numerous messages on it, but it really spoke to me this morning.  It is so simple and completely describes how we can have a heart after God like David did.  As we behold the Lord and connect with His emotions, we begin to change into that very image that we see.  It sounds really simple, but think about it, it kind of wows me.  To think that we have the opportunity to observe and experience the love of such an amazing God, that he would permit us to see His face.  And why? because He knows that when we see Him, we will become like Him! Sweet!

This other excerpt really spoke to me as well:
 Simply stated, whatever we behold or understand about God's heart toward us - that's what we become in our hearts toward God.  If we behold a mean and stingy God, we will become mean and stingy.  But if we behold His glory, as Paul wrote, the Holy Spirit transforms us into something glorious.
 This really made me examine my own view of who God is.  It made me wonder if I am holding views of God that are not who He really is.  It  is really something to sit and chew on.
It sounds really simple to have a heart after God.  The CONCEPT is simple but execution is difficult because of how much everything else pulls at us.  Sometimes we forget that it is not always about doing, but its about simply looking into His face.  That totally goes against what culture tells us, but it is the way to the heart of God. 

Okay, now one more little excerpt, this rocks my socks!
The secret to having more love - or peace or joy or faith or any fruit of the Spirit - is enjoying God more.
 Good stuff!

2 comments:

Juleen Kenney said...

Are you doing the A Heart Like His Beth Moore Study? I am on week 4 of it! Thanks for sharing this, I will be passing it along to the ladies in my group!
juleen76(at)gmail(dot)com

Erin @ Isaboo Designs said...

As a matter of fact we are! I definitely recommend reading Mike Bickle's book when you finish. Life-changing stuff!