Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What's for Dinner Wednesday? Perfect Roast Chicken

So my Wednesday dinner posts are lagging in popularity (according to my stats) so I might pull the plug on these (unless there is serious protest) I definitely will continue doing recipes and cooking posts, just a bit more randomly.  So here is one last go for WFDW.

Disclaimer: This is NOT a 30 minute meal...I made this Sunday actually at my hubby's request, but you could do this during the week easily by starting in the afternoon with the chicken.  It's not a lot of prep time, it's mostly in the oven time.

Scoff if you will at Martha Stewart, but the woman can cook and I haven't come across a recipe of her's that doesn't come out perfect everytime.  I was once terrified of cooking a whole chicken, but seriously, how can someone as obsessed with saving as I am really pass up .99/lb chickens!  So I looked up a recipe and did it and this comes out great everytime!  The instructions are lengthy, so go to the link and print it out, this is one you will want to keep anyways.  Here are the ingredients:

1 six lb roasting chicken
1 tablespoons unsalted butter
Salt and Pepper
2 onions, sliced
1 lemon
3 cloves of garlic, peeled
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 cup of chicken broth

I wish I were awesome and made my own stock...but let's not get crazy now...

 Onions lined up and ready to go!
Yes, you have to touch the raw bird...I was my hands like a million times during this whole process...
This makes a perfect bird every time with an amazing crispy skin.  So Good!

I made roasted potatoes and carrots with this.  I take my gorgeous potatoes from the Farmers Market :) and my carrots and I cut them into nice little chunks.  Then I get some salted water boiling with my potatoes (leave the carrots out) and let them boil for 5 minutes.  This makes them soft on the inside but crispy on the outside. I tried something different as a variation on another Martha recipe. 

Remove any blacked bits from the pans and pour some chicken broth in the pan. Combine the drippings and broth from the chicken with the potatoes and carrots  and roast in the oven at 400 for an hour. 

Mine didn't come out as crispy as I wanted, but I will use this method again, just go easy on the broth.  Just enough so the potatoes and carrots do not stick.  Either way they tasted INSANELY good and while I cannot vouch for how healthy it is...oh well.  I will post my healthier version of roasted potatoes in another post.  They go great with anything (yep, I do more than rice pilaf!)
Dinner turned out great! 

2 comments:

jaime said...

:( awwwww. i like WFDW! seriously, i like it alot but i can see how it would be time consuming. yeah i dont have a blog lol (yet;)) i am working on making some momma cloths. lindsey already wants me to make her some bc she like allergic to um.....EVERYTHING! lol she had never heard of it before and ws like "oh PLEASE make me some!" i finished my 1st proto-type and it needs a good few tweeks but they r hella comfy! after i get better at em i might start selling em of etsy or something of the sort. arlight i so went way off subject lol. the chicken looks awsome, i bet that would be a hit with my fam. we r haveing breakfast for dinner, eggs, grits, fruit, and sausage as requested :) its a fav.

Unknown said...

I am hanging onto this recipe. Do you know how important using a roasting pan is? Cause I don't have one.